Friday, June 10, 2005

UA baseball coach won't 'jump ship'

From the Republic via the Citizen comes good news for Wildcat baseball fans. Indicators are the Coach Andy plans to continue UA's meteoric rise in college baseball and is not considering leaving for greener ($$) pastures. Texas A&M is reportedly offering a package worth $500K for their new coach, roughly 6 times what Lopes earns here. His reason?

"I have been doing this for an awful lot of years, and it is not about how much money you make," Lopez said. "It is about your lifestyle and the people you are working for, and I really like it here, my family likes it here, and I love working for Jim Livengood."

Just the right values for a coach to have and to instill in his players.
So what's it gonna take to fill up Sancet/Kindall field? I'm just as guilty as the next guy for not showing up at any home games for quite awhile. And "no beer" has nothing to do with it. For me, it's the heat.
Couple early afternoon games with no shade at all in the park and there's not a hat out there that will keep you from burning. I'm sure our students in the Architecture (hat tip to Jeff) and Design departments could come up with some ingenious, cost-effective designs to help shade the fans and players. Make it a semester project or something. Anything, just get some shade out there.

And thanks to coach and the Cats for a record-setting year. If it's any consolation, I didn't miss a game on the radio.


No comments: